What is a catalog-powered Shopping Lens?
A Shopping Lens is a powerful commerce format built to present multiple products from a Product Catalog in a single Lens. Shopping Lenses pull in product information — such as product name and price — from a Product Catalog dynamically, and visually present this information in Lens Product Cards on screen. Shopping Lenses are designed specifically to provide Snapchatters a way to seamlessly interact with, try-on, and tap to purchase multiple products in a single Lens by swiping through the Lens Product Cards.
- Dynamically updated product information: Shopping Lenses present real-time product information pulled directly from your Product Catalog. If your Product Catalog is updated through a feed or manual file update, the Shopping Lens will read this updated information and present it in the Shopping Lens automatically. For example, if your product has a new price or is out of stock, there is no need to pause the Lens to update it as it will be automatically reflected in the Shopping Lens experience.
- Present multiple products in AR, each with a corresponding URL to purchase: Standard Lenses only support a single attachment. Shopping Lenses allow Snapchatters to interact with or try-on multiple products, each with their own corresponding Lens Product Card which links out to each associated product URL from your Product Catalog.
- Review SKU-level engagement reporting for multiple products: Easily review advertising campaign metrics in the Manage Ads Table, or organic engagement from your Public Profile.
- A maximum of 20 products can be included in one Lens at this time.
- Only the Website attachment type is supported at this time.
Lens Product Cards give Snapchat users a seamless, standardized way to view and purchase products. These are visual overlays only present in Shopping Lenses. These cards present real-time information including the name of the product, price, brand and a unique URL associated with each SKU. The information in the cards automatically updates based on the product the user is interacting with. Tapping on the Lens Product Card will land the user on the webview URL or native product detail page associated with that product in your Catalog.
Lens Product Card present in Shopping Lenses
Before You Begin: Your Checklist
Create a Snap Business Account. Learn how to create one here.
Create a Public Profile for your Business. Learn how here.
Create and upload a Product Catalog to your Business Account. Learn how to create one here.
Determine if your desired Lens experience requires creation with Lens Studio or Lens Web Builder by reviewing the How to Create section below.
How to Create a Shopping Lens
There are two ways to create a Shopping Lens: Lens Studio, or Lens Web Builder.
Using Lens Studio: This is Snap’s free AR-creation desktop app, used by Snapchat’s own team of professional Lens designers, by Creative Agencies, and by Lens Creators. This is a more complex and technical software that requires some knowledge of 3D editing.
- Ensure you have completed the “Before You Begin Checklist” above.
- Reach out to one of Snapchat’s Approved AR Partners here to create for you, or download the latest version of the Lens Studio software to create it yourself.
- Create your Lens utilizing the Shopping Module within the Shopping Template, see here for more.
- Publish your Shopping Lens to your Business Manager account. Learn more here.
- Tag your Shopping Lens with products from your Product Catalog or Store. To present SKU-level product information in your Shopping Lens you must associate each of the AR Assets in your Shopping Lens with a SKU from your Product Catalog. This can be achieved in two ways: through the Creative Library, or through the standard ad creation flow for an AR Lens.
Option 1: Tag your Shopping Lens through the Creative Library.
- Click “Creative Library” from the global navigation bar at the top of Ads Manager
- Click “New Creative” and select “AR Lens.”
- Enter the desired ad creative information, and click “Browse” to find your Shopping Lens media which was published to the account from Lens Studio.
- Select a Shopping Lens to tag products for, then click “Tag Your Products”
- Click “Publish” and the ad creative will show up in the Creative Library
Option 2: Simply create an advertising campaign, and add the product SKUs you want to connect to your Lens during the creation flow:
- Select your advertising Objective, then select “AR Lens.” If “AR Lens” is not present please select a different advertising Objective.
- Select the “Website” attachment type and select your desired Goal Based Bidding. We recommend “Pixel Purchase” for Shopping Lens campaigns with the goal of web conversion.
- Click “Browse” and select the Shopping Lens published to your account from Lens Studio. If you do not see your Shopping Lens please ensure your Lens creator followed the steps in the guide here. If you successfully selected your Shopping Lens you should see a notification to “Tag Your Products”
- After selecting your “Source,” you will need to reference the “State” and “Description” column which are fields entered by the Lens creator in the Lens Studio software. We recommend you share the information from the following Product Catalog fields with your Lens Creator so they know how to name it when creating the Lens file: “Title” field as the State and SKU “ID” as the Description
- Once you tag your Lens with products, you will see an indicator of success.
Please note: For a full step-by-step technical walk through of creating a Shopping Lens using Lens Studio’s Shopping Module please view this documentation.
Using Lens Web Builder : This is Snap’s free AR creation web-hosted tool that is available with your Business Manager Account. This flow does not require any knowledge of 3D assets, and lets you create a Shopping Lens for makeup try-ons in just a few minutes! Learn more about Lens Web Builder here.
- Limited to Makeup Try-On experiences only.
- Available for any beauty customer, no existing assets necessary.
- For customers with existing makeup try-on assets who want to import their assets to Snapchat, limited to Perfect Corp customers.
Steps to create:
- Ensure you have completed the ‘Before You Begin Checklist above.
- Open your Business Manager Account and Navigate to “Create AR Lens.”
- Follow the steps to create a Shopping Lens using the Lens Web Builder Makeup Template here.
- Once you’ve successfully created your Lens and connected it to your Product Catalog you are ready to distribute it.
- Review your Lens engagement and conversion reporting down to the SKU-level.
Please Note: Use of Lens Web Builder to create a Shopping Lens tied to a Product Catalog is only available for Beauty brands promoting makeup products.
Promote your Shopping Lens by serving it as a Sponsored advertisement. Learn more about creating an ad campaign here. Snapchatters will see your Shopping Lens directly in the popular Lens Carousel.
Grow your organic engagement on Snapchat by adding it to your Public Profile . For businesses who are a part of the Public Profile Store test, be sure to include your Shopping Lens on your Public Profile for Snapchatters to play with time and time again. Lenses featured on a Public Profile are also distributed in the Lens Explorer community page, not directly in the Lens Carousel. Please reach out to your Snap representative or file a ticket below to learn more about Stores.
Shopping Lenses tied to Product Catalogs or Stores offer SKU-level reporting. This helps you understand which product or variation Snapchat users are interacting with. Below is a list of reporting metrics available per SKU ID:
- Product Plays: The number of times a product has been activated via the Shopping Lens in Snapchat camera.
- Product Shares: The total number of times a product has been shared.
- Product Play Time: The average time spent viewing a product.
- Product Card Clicks: The total number of times a product has been clicked on.
For Shopping Lens ad campaigns, view conversion metrics (such as Purchases and ROAS) at the Ad Set level, and view SKU-level metrics at the Ad level. SKU-level metrics are viewable through a CSV download from the Manage Ads Table. First, click “Ads”
Then select “Breakdown By Product.” Please note that this level of reporting is only available for Dynamic Product Ads and Shopping Lenses.
[Export SKU-level reporting from Ads Manager]
For organic Shopping Lens reporting, view metrics in Profile Manager.
First, navigate to your Public Profile
Then select “Lenses” and view SKU-level reporting.