Halftone Effect - Please Help!

Hello everyone!

I am new to Spark AR and I am trying to create a halftone like filter. I have created the halftone pattern (dots) but I am struggling to figure out how to scale and move the dots with my shadows. If anyone could give me any advice I would really appreciate it! The filter I am trying to recreate is on the left and mine is on the right.

Thank you so much.

• Connie

Hi!

Even though I have halftone on my list of things to do I never actually attempted it.
There are many glsl examples that you could convert to patches, alternatively there are some old patches that may work.

Also I think that example you showed is just making a mask based in the brightness level of the image and not scaling the dots, if you are interested in scaling them Mate has some texture tools which you could use.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks so much for your reply! I am still quite new at Spark AR so I am unsure how to turn a GLSL into a patch.

Also, I am unsure how to make a mask based on brightness. Is there a patch or filter for that within Spark AR?

Sorry for asking so many questions! I really appreciate all your help with this :slight_smile:
Thank you so much!

Hey, given that you have a chromakey set up you should be able to modify it to do the same thing but based on image brightness and not colors. You’d just need to get the brightness information from the image. Here are some related ressources I found on the topic :
https://sparkar.facebook.com/ar-studio/learn/reference/classes/lightingestimationmodule
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SparkARcommunity/permalink/584845085260871

Regarding the GLSL, they are often just a bunch of mathematical operations, which you can recreate in patches as Thomas said by literally “rewriting” the equations in patch (so combinations of math patches). Just be mindful of what you’re initially doing the math on and what the output will be.

2 Likes

Thank you so so much Boris! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this, I have a better understanding of how to make this work now.

You are a life saver :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

I used the Luminance Pack added to the Dots Scale from the Dots Patch and Screen Tap for different color options plus slider UI for a larger dot scale. Maybe this helps:

2 Likes

Oh wow that is a much more elegant solution than mine! I went the ultra-hard route :slight_smile:

I wonder if there’s an easy way to add a rotation parameter to the dots patch. I think that’s the only thing that’s missing from Dan’s pic. Notice that the dots don’t stack vertically - they are rotated.

Thank you very much! I still have all the fail test patches hidden at the bottom – it was definitely a difficult way to this solution, especially because it was my first project. Maybe there’s a way to mash up two alternating dots patches together e.g with blend mode on darken or lighten.

I got the rotation to work with your approach, but the dots are a bit oblong now.

spark-halftone.arprojpkg (39.3 KB)

You can get some cool liney stuff happening too if you set one dot dimension to be super small.

2 Likes

Definitely some very cool artistic vibes!:100: Bottom one reminds me of spieroglyphics a bit. If I remember it right, the oblongs disappear when increasing the y repeat/value. Gonna have to try it out with rectangles, too.

1 Like