How can I create a realistic looking textiles in Spark AR?

Hi everyone,
I saw this amazing filter and the Material, the texture of the hat blew me away. I do not aim to make something this awesome looking but maybe there are some general tips for making textiles/ fabrics look better in Spark?
117529697_1254393531582062_8635226081782000387_n

@Sarah I think he have a video of how he did it . its on YouTube and have been shared in the main spark ar community . so u can get a idea in that .

2 Likes

For textiles I’d say the important part is getting proper Specular and Normal maps. You can generate these yourself in Photoshop, but they require a very good source photo!

I make my own following the tutorials here :
Specular map : http://www.impossible3ds.com/en/creating_specular_map_ps/
Normal map : https://photoshoptrainingchannel.com/photoshop-3d-depth-maps-bump-normals/

I think the tutorial Kavin is suggesting is this one :

3 Likes

@rbkavin thanks so much I did not see this yet!

Ah sweet @! I will go have a look at the links you sent and the check the video :smiley:

1 Like

You should also take a look on Ambient Occlusion, which is that tiny shadow where objects contact. it adds a lot of realism on things.

3 Likes

@finofinissimo thank you I will play with that as well :smiley:

1 Like

be always carefull to see if you need different sets of normal maps in different target screens.

in a very high pixel count, your normals may look awesome, but you go to a crappier phone screen and suddenly everything is awful. so my small advice, have some way of testing screen size and, if memory/file size allows, a few extra normal maps for lower resolutions

finally, there is this link that helps you upload an image and convert it to normal map
https://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

it may not be a perfect normal map as you can get from substance+artist, but it can be pretty useful indeed

3 Likes

Hi @MartinBerisso

thanks for the link! that is really helpful!
Could you explain a bit further what you mean with different target screens?

you can have a very high DPI screen (means with a lot of pixels per inch) that will have a really good rendering of the texture maps info, but you can also have a very small amount of pixels and the image will look… well… pixelated. if that happens, a too fine noised normal map may create more visual noise (with one pixel being super bright, the next to it super black, then the next instant that inverts, the next instant inverts again and so on), which looks pretty bad

1 Like

I strongly recommend Substance Designer for material creation. You can export the roughness, occlusion and metalicness as well as the diffuse map. Then plug them all in the ORM input in the physically-based shader. That should give you some awesome results. Or use Matt Greenhalgh’s PBR node, it’s physically acurate and gives you more input options. You can find it on the facebook group

4 Likes

hi @Victor_Mustin

I tried to find the PBR node on the group, i just searched in the group for ‘PBR node’ but nothing came up.
Do you mind sending me a link to it?

Thanks so much!

Hey,

Couldn’t help but butt in, here’s the link to Matt’s PBRinator :

2 Likes

What is the URL for that video, please? Do you know it?

I think it’s this one

2 Likes