How effective is IG AR for marketing?

There are only some, but not many, good and successful Instagram AR effects. I understand that many factors can come into play to make the campaign successful, but in general, how effective is Instagram AR when compared to normal tools such as video ads? Is there a point in making an AR effect for a brand campaign if the brand still has to spend the money for a sponsored post and getting influencers to promote it?

3 Likes

I personally believe it does makes sense to use AR in marketing campaigns. Regarding the overall subject of AR marketing, it’s actually tricky because it depends on the context, the audience and the length of the campaign I’d say. In the end of the day it’s just a matter of ROI, if you can make the campaign being in positive everyday, who cares about the price of the AR effect. -It happened that some influencers were ok to promote for free because they had fun with the thing and they were looking cooler than usual.- What I defend when talking about it is that AR layers of interaction and fun raise significantly the memorization which is what has the most impact for the brand in the long run. When the guy takes a decision of buying in the industry of the brand out of the ad context, a few days after playing with the ad for example, he goes to the one he remembers. Of course being able to do different try-on in AR is a no brainer for conversions too as long as the quality of the 3D assets makes it look realistic. Nevertheless, sometimes AR just doesn’t fit the audience some people are lazy, some people knows they want to buy and the ad just triggers that again or some are too busy so they don’t want to interact with an ad.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say that it’s necessary for the brand to invest in adds and influencers to promote the effect. As it’s quite a new promotion tool, influencers didn’t set the rules and pricing system yet and it’s not that hard to catch their attention. Atm using filters in Stories is trendy, it’s also an easy way for influencers to produce daily content, so - from what I observe - if influencer likes the filter, he would just use it and the snowball effect is happening quite naturally (kind of how it was years ago with other products promoted by influencers). But of course it’s gonna work mostly with the effects that are easy to use, visually appealing and that are responding to the current trends and user needs. So what I would suggest is to first make a list of influencers that represent brand’s vibe, check what kind of filters (and content in general) they usually post (eg. is it funny face deformations, cute make-ups or just pretty camera effects) and try to find the idea that’s gonna meet expectations of both: brand and potential influencers.

1 Like

I think that specific use cases can be really beneficial to companies with certain products. For example a sunglasses brand that allows user to try on lenses in their own home, this can convert users into product purchasers because it allows for a contactless home try on. Also something memorable like that may be enough for the person to remember the brand and maybe next time they need a new pair of frames they remember the effect and buy!

1 Like