How to Create this Particular Star Dreamy Glow Lens Effect in AR?

Hi Everyone,
I’m a graphic designer who newly got interested in creating AR filters because its fun and gives me a good space for creativity, However, I face a lot of difficulties trying to copy basic simple steps from adobe software and create it in Spark AR, sometimes i manage to achieve the results by watching tutorials and tweaking some settings in AR and sometimes I fail, this is one of the times i fail and i need help from this great community.

My Problem is not that complicated so i’ll try to explain in a very clear way. So i’ll divide this topic into 3 parts:

1. The Effect i’m copying or you can say the result i want to come up with.
2. How is it done on adobe programs, or the anatomy of the project.
3. What is the problem exactly and where?

The Effect I’m Copying is the one in this 2 minutes video, It’s very easy and simple effect to create on Photoshop or Premier or After effects as you can see:

How is it done? as you can see the project layers are as shown below

A two directional blur layers (Blend mode: Screen)
+
LUT (Blend mode: Normal)
+
Adjustment Layer (Blend mode: Normal)

What is the problem i’m facing exactly and where?
my problem is with the parts with the Red Dots.

-First things first, see the Directional blur consists of 3 things:

1. Direction
  2. Length/Strength
  3. Steps
    when i do it in Photoshop it’s smooth, i mean with smooth that the blur steps is not visible to my eyes, its done automatically inside Photoshop, but I’m using a Patch from the convolution patches created by the amazing Josh, I’m using BlurDirectional25, but it seems that i can’t get a High strength without seeing visible steps, my Goal is to get Long Continues Blur lines like in Photoshop. This is the major problem here, you can see the difference here, this is a screenshot from the footage i’m using in spark AR it’s a concert footage:
    (sorry for the links but since i’m a new user i can’t post more than one image or two links in the topic and god only knows why)
    https://imgur.com/a/peteon6

-The LUT is okay i can do it and apply it in a proper way, at least for now.

-The Adjustment layes properties is trickey,
I don’t know how to control Contrast / Blacks / Sharpness of the whole scene, and remember that the order of the layers is essential, so you will have to show me how to put this layer on top of all the previous layers in a way that makes it act properly as shown in the video.

In conclusion, I need to make a proper Directional Blur effect, Also add these adjustments Contrast / Blacks control / Sharpening .

Thank you all in advance,
and thanks Josh for letting me know about this great community.

Teeky

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to be so thorough in the explanation, makes it heaps easier to understand what you want to achieve :smiley:

For the Blur I’ll let @josh_beckwith possibly point you in a better direction as I know this has been an on-going topic, blur vs performance ^^

Generally speaking though I imagine that you’re familiar with the Render Pass feature in Spark AR? The way layers work in photoshop is somewhat different, I’d use several Scene Render Pass steps here instead. Basically you would apply the blurs to the cameraTexture, then pass it in a render pass to flatten it, apply the LUT on that, flatten again via render pass and apply your final retouches on that.

Hi Boris,
Thanks for your reply, and yes it’s an old habit to explain everything in detail :grin:
Okay, i’ll wait for josh to reply on that,

But its very important that you tell me how to make this process, maybe if there’s a tutorial for that it would be awesome

Also, another side question why would a filter starts just fine on spark player then starts to get slow and slow, also on Instagram its starts slowly, because i have been working on another filter that makes another dreamy effect that has this problems that i just mentioned its very laggy on instagram like very slow why what that happen? know that i use 2 directional blur + gaussian blur in that filter
if this question is off-topic then just tell me to create another question post in this form for just this side question.

Thanks in advance

Yeah normally you should find the basic Render Pass tutorials needed either on the official Spark AR documentation :

Or there are likely videos on Youtube that explain the workflow :slight_smile:

Again, not too sure why the slow-downs occur, I can only speculate the calculations somehow become more and more intense on the CPU of the device as the effects go on? Josh should be here later to shed a light on this ^^

1 Like

Well guys, i’m still waiting in hope to get some help on this issue because it’e really important to me

There are some directional blurs of various size in the convolution repository, here:

Direction and length (strength) are parameters on the patches, and the steps are denoted in the name of the patch (e.g. DirectionalBlur15). You can use shader render pass as a cheat to get things blurry before applying the actual blur - just set the size to .2 or .3.

That repo also has some sharpening patches but they are pretty heavy on the GPU so maybe skip that step. There might be some optimized way of applying sharpening, but I haven’t taken the time.

A super quick way to get some contrast and push blacks is with the smooth step patch. Just slap it on the end of the graph and fiddle with the numbers until it looks good :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll try these, and get back to you with the feedback, thank you Josh ! :pray: