Managing Spark Versions

Spark comes out with a new version roughly every couple of weeks. You might be inclined to just download the latest update every time a new one comes out, but it can be a risk. Spark is great but it is not without quirks. I’ve heard stories of creators working on a project and finding a bug that makes the project unrecoverable and all of their work is lost. There is no going back to a previous version once you upgrade your project!!

So in the spirit of not losing hours/days/weeks of work to a bug in the program, I’ll share my workflow for managing Spark versions.

First of all, it’s good to know where the downloads page is. If you need an older version of spark, you can grab it from the downloads page: https://sparkar.facebook.com/ar-studio/learn/downloads/

In practice, I usually lean on the auto updater, but it overwrites the current version of Spark. Before I run the updater, I make a copy of the app and rename it with the corresponding version number. After I have a copy of the current version, I run the updater on the main app. My app folder ends up looking like this:

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 11.49.49 AM

As far as deciding what version to use for a project, I recommend NOT using the latest version. Instead, I work with a version that I know is stable and has the minimum feature set that I need. This saves me from discovering new bugs in the middle of a client project :slight_smile:

It can be hard to keep track of which app version your project is using, especially after coming back to it after weeks or months. My convention for this is to add an empty version file just so I can see which app version I should use to open the project. It’s a small detail but it saves me the frustration of opening the wrong version, closing, reopening. Time is money, damnit!

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 11.58.10 AM

@Tomas_Pietravallo told me that his app was automatically installing updates, but I couldn’t find anything that did that in the preferences. It turns out there’s a checkbox on the upgrade dialog box, toward the bottom. To open this dialog, you can go to file > check for updates (on any version that isn’t the latest).

I use two versions so I dont get lost in which version I need to open the file. v95 is the stable one in my notebook and when I need to use a tool it dont have I use the v98.
I also label the version in the name of the project its like “underwaterfilter-v95”.

1 Like

Yeah! 95 is my rock! After thinking about it more today, I think I’ll use this format for my arproj files.

project-name-v1.0.95.arproj (major.minor.spark)

1 Like

great advice! i realized how often they roll out updates so i also have been adding the version number at the end of my save files using almost the same format^

Thank u! - if anyone here’s getting compilation errors on v101 just quit and restart (yes seriously :expressionless:) - downgrading after I finish this project

2 Likes

I got this error after v100. But after converting the code with Webpack, it seems that this error rarely occurs.:thinking:

1 Like