Need to make good quality gifs? Here is an App for you!

Hello Everyone!
The lovely @josh_beckwith is presenting us with this amazing tool!

:smiley: GIFGOAT :smiley:
Convert videos into gifs that don’t suck!

would be awesome to see some of your gifs created with GIFGOAT! :heart_decoration:

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Do you think it will be light enough for using them on a website? I need to find a way to upload light gifs so it don’t take too long to open a website tab.

1 Like

@josh_beckwith has made many gifs with GIFGOAT :smiley: maybe he can tell you more :slight_smile:

Yeah this is exactly the reason I made this! You can change size and quality settings to find a happy balance.

Generally you can use auto play looped videos on websites, instead of gifs. The only requirement is that they need to be muted. I still use gifs in places where video embedding isn’t supported

4 Likes

Thank you for the advice! I’m a noob when it comes to website and files sizes!

1 Like

Has either of you tried SceenToGif? It has some kind of neural networking algorithm to compress gifs… I was trying to generate some for my github readmes with it, as videos can’t be embedded in the Markdown. Filesizes remain huge though unfortunately :confused:
I’ll try gifgoat the next time the problem pops up!

2 Likes

I haven’t, but it sound super cool! Generally I can use webm/mp4 (except in readme on github, of course)

You might also try using apng format. It might have some better compression. Seems like it’s relatively well supported now

https://caniuse.com/apng

1 Like

Thanks again! I looked into apng as well, but as my only usecase is github for the moment, no dice :confused:

Also, I just realized I’ll have to build gif goat for windows first - I’ll try that when I find some time (not this millenium, it seems). Either way, thanks for open sourcing! I always wanted to see how electron works, and this is a great opportunity to study :smiley:

1 Like

Electron can be a pain to build apps for… But I’ll try to make a windows installer once I get my machine set up for dual-booting :slight_smile:

2 Likes