ORM texture- what is it?

What is the ORM texture for? No idea what it is and how to use it

A lot of this is from memory because I’m on my phone.

The ORM texture is used with their physically based material. It’s generally so you can represent multiple material types within one shader, for example you could have a metal sword, with a leather handle, and it’s all just one texture set/material.
It stands for Occlusion, Roughness, metallic.
You can output an orm map directly from substance painter, or you could paint one in photoshop.

Each map is packed into a colour channel of the orm texture.

I’d have to double check, but I assume it’s;
R - Ambient occlusion
G - roughness
B - metallic

AO you’d tend to bake. The other maps you’d tend to paint. But you could bake those from a high poly as well.

In the roughness map, I think black pixels are used for a smooth and shiny surface, and white it’s for a rough, matte surface. With grey values representing surfaces in between.

The metallic map is similar, with I think black representing non-metals and white representing metals

This probably has some better explanations and nice images - https://academy.substance3d.com/courses/the-pbr-guide-part-2

8 Likes

Neat! and all of that explanation is just from memory! thanks Craig! will check the link you posted!!

1 Like

Didn’t know this either actually, thanks for the explanation, will also go check the link ^^

1 Like

Solid answer, and from a phone!

1 Like

from what I have come to understand, you paint the AO colors in the vertex color of the object, then paint the “AO Strength” in the ORM texture, so you can actually animate the amount of occlussion, while being able to have certain areas of your model without and some areas with colored occlussion…

but I admit that is just theory and I have yet to not-bake my occlussions in the albedo color

2 Likes

I totally see this logic. Thank you for explaining Martin! And thank you iamcreiglewis2!