"SATURN" by tomaspietravallo

Hey everyone!

I wanted to share my latest experiment turned effect, SATURN. :ringer_planet:.

The effect is based around raymarching and uses Shadows, Occlusion, fake Render Passes, fake volumetrics (Aurora), and more.

There’s a slider to control the tilt of the rings.

You can try it here.

I welcome any feedback, comments and/or questions :heart:

Effect inspired by the Cassini-Huygens :artificial_satellite: and Hubble :telescope: imagery, NASA, ESA & ASI. Audio reactive-ness inspired by @Beth_Wickerson & @Panta_Rhei .

6 Likes

Man, it looks really great! The aurora is a really nice touch.

Unfortunately my Pixel 3 can’t handle the ray tracing. It stutters pretty hard and then crashes the IG app. Still, it’s a great experiment! I’m sure you can use ray tracing stuff in other contexts. It might be a good topic to explore with cables.gl.

If you’re looking for a way to jazz it up a little more, I think adding some more atmospheric stuff would be cool. Maybe darken the camera texture and add some distant stars, maybe some space dust too.

It would be cool to add the telescope in the scene too. It could be really tiny, just as an easter egg.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback!

This is mostly experimental and I’m aware many phones can’t handle ray marching, but I hope that by pushing the quality in the ray marching front, I’ll be able to translate things to regular 3D objects and patches (or simple shader assets).

I had the personal goal of making the effect as light as possible, ended up being ~60kb; so I wasn’t too keen on adding external 3D models, but I’ll consider it for future effects, since I’m making some Space related ones lately :alien::rocket:. (What time is it?)

I had considered an atmosphere but then most devices GPUs would cry, but it’s one of those things I can do with regular 3D models (much cheaper computationally) and I’ll sure add one if I make another planet

2 Likes