Spark AR texture "Sampling/Filtering" options - mobile hardware performance

I know what the Spark AR texture “Sampling/Filtering” options basically mean (None, Bilinear, Mip, Trilinear) - up till now I’ve always been able to get away with None or Bilinear - but now I have a case where I want to use the Trilinear… I will test it in different contexts as usual but I was wondering if the performance hit (on most modern smartphones) is likely to be very significant… and indeed are most modern smartphones capable of all the options (I’ve learned not to take that for granted : )

1 Like

It seems like trilinear is twice the cost of bilinear, since it is doing two lookups and applying linear filtering to those results.

“Trilinear filtering solves this by doing a texture lookup and bilinear filtering on the two closest mipmap levels (one higher and one lower quality), and then linearly interpolating the results”

In general I don’t worry about low end devices unless the goal is to create a viral effect. For client work, I focus on making things look as good as they possibly can, which usually means using some of the more performance-greedy features.

If you want to protect yourself, you can include a device support list in your contracts. I used to do this in my web development days with browsers, and it’s kind of the same situation here. Some clients would be on iPhone 5 for some reason, expecting a high end webgl site to run at 60fps. It could be as vague as saying you will support “modern devices” using the latest IG app and latest OS.

1 Like