What are some Effect House tips for Spark AR users?

Being more familiar with Spark AR, I’m having trouble wrapping my head around the Effect House flow paradigm. If you like Spark, have you found a way “to think in” Effect House? Are there any resources (maybe YouTube or tutorials) that have helped you see how to do equivalent tasks?

If you are used to Spark, then you are used to thinking in terms of reactive values. Values will automatically update as soon as they are plugged into an input.

The Effect House node graph behaves imperatively, meaning you need to explicitly send triggers (known as pulses in Spark) to update values. Simply connecting a value to a node won’t have any effect until you also send a trigger to set it.

This article talks about script, but it explains the difference between reactive and imperative programming.

One weird quirk about the triggers in Effect House is that they can only be used in one input. For example, if you want to set several values when the effect starts, you either need several instances of the start node, or you need to chain the triggers together.

Another difference is that you can have multiple value setters that point to the same object. I initially got stuck because I was like “I have the setter but it only accepts one value!” Fortunately, you can create multiple setters for the same property.

1 Like